Thursday, June 23, 2011

Trying to come around.

Here it is the middle of the afternoon and well,  my motivation to do anything but guzzle coffee and surf is somewhat lacking.
Travelling Companion called last night from Geneva airport to say that she was at her gate,  but that the flight was looking to be delayed for about an hour.  Gee,  that’s a surprise!  Mind you, it wasn’t the “discount airline” syndrome as I’ve alluded to in the past,  but rather a bit of a storm front that was messing things up.


I really wanted to take some sort of snippet of the weather radar for Europe,  but I couldn’t seem to get that to work.
I figured I’d try and catch our end of things here in Wienerland.
DSC_0006
It looks a little more ominous than it turned out to be,  and we didn’t get any actual precipitation here with the exception of a few sprinkles.  I brought in the chairs anyway,   since I’ve discovered that they tend to collect water inside the legs or arms or somewhere,  which seems to drip out at the most inopportune times. My guess is the airport folks were waiting for some of the mess to move through Geneva before letting any planes off the ground.  We’re OK with that.
So that made for a pretty late night since,  by the time we gathered up all the stuff out of the car and got upstairs here it was well past midnight.  That’s not that big a deal,  except then of course there was some more shifting around of “stuff”,  including a visit to Bob’s money vault to switch from Swiss Francs and Czech korunas to British Pounds.   Always best to try and have some of the local currency on hand.
And that was because we needed to be out the door again by 5:00 a.m. to get to the airport for her connecting flight to Frankfurt and then on to Birmingham.  

Oy.

Turns out that one was almost a bust as well,  since there was some sort of delay due to issues at the tower in Frankfurt. Somebody tripped over an extension cord?  Don’t know.
I’m not really sure at what point this information was passed on,  but only heard of it later on when Travelling Companion called from the office in the UK to say she had in fact, arrived.  Or course,  the minor annoyance,  depending on how you look at it is,  when you get to the UK,  your brain and tummy might be thinking it’s 11:00 a.m.,  but it’s really only ten,  since there’s an hour’s difference.   To be on the safe side,  I had sent along a meagre offering on the sandwich front.
I’m not going to go off here on a discussion about type 2 diabetes and making sure there’s something to eat at certain times of the day,  but suffice to say that any kind of travelling can present a host of challenges.  That’s all.

No big plans for today.  It’s a holiday so it’s a bit quieter out there than normal,  and like I said,   I haven’t had even the motivation to stick my head out the front door to see what’s going on.  Couldn’t care less.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.