Friday, February 13, 2009

This old house

OK, I have to concede that I haven't yet come up with a solution to the camera on the bike situation.
It could take a while, and I might have to venture out to some flea markets over the next few months to try and come up with some ideas. Not overly keen on paying some inflated price for a purposefully made bike thingy, only to then disassemble it and try and transmogrify it into something functional.

As I said, stay tuned.

We got other stuff...

One of the other activities I'll no doubt be looking into over the next little while will be a way to try and keep in a little more of the heat that we most desperately need most days here in the winter.
This house was built some time in the 60s.

Here it is again btw, in case you forgot what it looks like...

So it would be reasonable to think that keeping out the wind and cold would be a worthwhile effort, even back in the 60s. I mean, heating a home in Europe has always been more expensive than in North America so a little caulking would go a long way.

Here's a prime example of what I'm talking about:

This is our front door.....
...and I must say, it looks really spiffy.


Just don't stand too close when the wind blows....

Um, doesn't take much effort to see the daylight out through those somewhat less than craftsman like mitre joints. Good grief!

Might want to stick to making wooden shoes.

Putting splines in your mitre joints comes to mind. Which btw, is the only way to make a mitre joint that will in any way be able to function as a proper woodworking joint.
Might have even added a little R value to boot.

Bonus.

I'm pretty sure I've seen coloured caulking in the stores here. Brown comes to mind. Of course, I didn't think to ship a caulking gun, so I guess I'll be adding one to the collection.

Now, if it were my front door, I'd probably take the thing down and rebuild it, or at least hang it properly so that there's not the big gap over on the strike side.
You did notice that too, didn't you?
Sort of defeats the purpose of installing thermopane windows in other areas of the
house.


And don't even get me started about the little mail box compartent just to the right.

I guess if we run out of room in the fridge (could happen) we could always use it as a back-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.