Monday, June 8, 2009

Sometimes it's OK

...to be "the Caretaker".

Well, sometimes.

Here's the thing. Got a notice in the mail the other day.
Seems Vitens want a meter reading. If you happen to go to that link and see "meterstand doorgeven", that's the place I need to be to send in a meter reading.

Pretty handy, considering I first thought I'd have to make a phone call. At least it would have been a free call. They even have to put "gratis" (free) next to the number. The reason for that is, most help lines here in La-La land charge you for the privilege. Sometimes upwards of €.40 a minute!
How is that "helpful"?

Who knows why anyone would put up with that, but hey... not my country.


The thing is, once upon a time way, way back when I was a young whipper-snapper of a Caretaker, a very wise Supervisor once told me, "Whenever you go to a new site, always know the location of these three things: The water meter, gas meter and hydro meter. And know how to shut off all three of them".

Words to live by.

Oh, and it's also helpful to know how to shut off the domestic supply to your hydronic heating system in case it springs a leak, but that's another story.

So, it didn't take me more than 5 seconds to realise our water meter is right at the front door, under the mat.
Lo and behold, there it is....

Now that I think of it, maybe the next time the Jehovah's come to the door, I'll say something like, "Why yes, I'd love a copy of the Watchtower. Why don't you just step right this way?"

Bwahaahaaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.