Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The sheep field

One of the things that I've noticed over the last month or so, has been the absence of sheep in the small pasture just a block or so away from the house.
We've discovered from one of our neighbours that, we're actually considered "outside" of Delden, since we're not within the confines of what used to be a walled town. So I guess that means I shouldn't be surprised to see sheep grazing in what seems like the middle of town.

It's not.

I'm a stranger in a strange land.

Well, I also couldn't help but notice that the farmers around these parts have already taken in their first crop of hay. This was three or four weeks ago, (beginning of May!!) which is a good month and a half before Southern Ontario and just about the same for most of Nova Scotia. I'm only going by what I know, OK? Somewhere back in my dark past there's some sort of "farmer gene" that has me notice these kinds of things.

Whatever you do, don't get my wife started on this topic, unless you are ready for much rolling of eyes and sighing, since I think she still finds it hard to believe that I was actually born on a farm.

Oh, and we had cold running water and an outhouse.

Seriously folks, I ain't kiddin'.


But that's another story.


Last week sometime I guess it was, I couldn't help but notice that the normally sheep grazing but now hayfield had been cut, but nothing was going on in terms of dealing with the hay.

Until this morning:




He's giving it the once over and putting it into windrows, where it will probably sit for another day or two, and then I'll be curious to see what he will do in terms of baling or some other sort of collection.

Stay tuned.

Now, the reason I happened to be right there at that moment was because I was running the roads this morning on New and Shiny (well, version 2) since I had a little mental list of things to sort out. No making jokes by putting together the words, "little" and "mental".....

Tooled back over to the golf club to further check out the driving range situation, and bought a "pass" to use in their ball dispensing machine. I could have bought tokens, but figured I'd just pony up the €25 for ten goes. Still haven't a clue just how many balls you get for your €2,50, but we'll find out.
Not all that many I'm thinking.
We we're going to find out later this afternoon, but I just got the call. Seems the numbers aren't quite behaving themselves, so the finance person will be letting me know when she gets to come home.

Um, it's "the second work day", which is to say, the second day after month end....
For those of you who have ever counted an inventory and/or done a P&L, you know what I mean. For those of you who don't know, here's a brief primer on something I used to do each and every week, back in my dark distant past*.

You get the idea.

*note: That wouldn't be back in the pre-history "living on a farm" period, but rather in the "after finishing school and trying to get a job" period.



The huge difference is, I used to deal with thousands, and well, that's not the case when you're looking after a whole division.

So fine, it's not quite "billions and billions", but I couldn't help myself.


Where was I?

Right.

Went up Langestraat to the "Kapsalon" for a hair cut, since I was just about getting to the point where I was going to start pulling the stuff out....
If only it would stop growing on the back of my neck and in my ears instead of the top of my head, life would be just dandy.

Honestly!!

Interestingly enough, as I was sitting there, a lady came in and made arrangements for the barber to make a house call.

Huh?

Do we have such a thing? Apparently he doesn't really advertise it, but will go to the seniors home down the street and trim up what ever needs it. No extra charge. (hey, I can understand that much Dutch, OK?)

Wow.

Then it was off to stop by the Dr's office to enquire about a couple prescriptions that were about to run out.
Here's where they've really got it together over here:
Went in, spoke to the receptionist, she quickly had a look on the computer, send an email over to the pharmacy, and I'll slide by there tomorrow afternoon to pick up the prescription.

Just.....like .....that.

I realise that I sometimes give the impression that if I have anything to say, it's in the order of some sort of complaint. (thanks Anja)
But let me tell you this. Right up there with the way the Dutch manage their water (the folks from Louisiana might like to come for a look-see)..and their bike paths, they have the whole pharmacy/prescription/whatever program figured out.

Not only that, but the prescriptions don't cost an arm and a leg like they do back home. Hm. Go figure.

Hey, and the Americans go up to Canada to get the "cheap drugs", so I can just imagine how much everyone is getting gouged south of the 49th.
Plus, I will bet you any amount of money you'd like, that I can go into the pharmacy tomorrow afternoon and be out of there within FIVE minutes with precription in hand.
Try that at any place in North American that fills prescriptions. I defy you!

Why does it take a half hour to count out fifty flippin' pills?

Not only that, but in spite of this country by no means being officially bilingual, the people at the Pharmacy can not just speak perfect Dutch, but do a pretty good job in English as well.
Without the slightlest hint of an East Indian accent.

What a concept!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, never mind possible sheep. Count yourselves lucky there's not a pig farm nearby! .... Gunnar

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.