Thursday, November 27, 2014

For the peeps.

So I’ve been sending out emails,  making phone calls.  Texting.  But there only remains the blog.

T.C. came through her surgery yesterday morning just fine.  She opted for a version of a local anaesthetic,  even though she was fearful that she’d hear some sort of “chain saw massacre”.  However, the Doc assured her that they’d mix up a nifty cocktail that would either put her mostly to sleep or erase the entire event from her memory.  Seems to have been effective.  Plus, then she didn’t need to have a general anaesthetic which,  as we all know, can present its own set of issues.

Anyhoodle,  I’ve been hanging around the hospital for the last couple days.  Yesterday (surgery day) was a bit of a long one,  as we had to be there by something like 6:30 a.m.,  and the only thought that I had was, any time we have to be up and out the door at that hour or earlier,  there’s usually a flight involved.  Preferably to some place warm.  We only got to go to the hospital. Bah!

She has a “pain pump”.  I think that was the term they used.  It’s a method of injecting a morphine derivative directly into her IV.  Seems it only really takes the edge off,  and she hits that sucker about three times an hour,  or depending on what little event might be coming up,  like physio,  then it’s about ten minutes before any moving about. 

I mostly sit and read,  just to be there with her,  since the pain drug tends to make her sleepy.  That’s kind of a good thing,  as she was able to sleep the entire night through last night.  I don’t think I’ve ever made it through the entire night when in hospital.  Mind you,  it’s been about 20 years since I’ve spent a night in a hospital, so I’ve forgotten most of that experience.  Probably just as well.

They’ll be punting her out tomorrow afternoon,  providing that she can demonstrate that she can manage at least a half dozen stairs.   That’s her passport out.  And that’s only because we have stairs here at home.  Why did we let that slip out?

So I’ve got the cane,  the walker,  the various other gadgets.  I think we’re good to go.

And really,  using a walker?  Probably something that should be practised ahead of time.  It’s like rubbing your head and patting your belly.  It’s a certain skill set, with a very steep learning curve.  Just my two cents.

A walker is provided for her in her room, as she did have to use it a couple times to shuffle into the loo.  Well supervised I understand.

 

 

No pictures today.  Nothing of interest to photograph.   Did you want to see more snow falling??

I didn’t think so.

 

Thanks for stopping by.

7 comments:

  1. Glad all is going well for TC. I know you will take good care of her.
    Thanks have seen enough snow, come over here I show you sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear TC's surgery went well Bob! Keep up the good work as caretaker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add my voice to those being glad to hear T.C. came through the surgery o.k. and will be going home tomorrow.

    Now, Bob, don't you go all 'Nurse Ratchet' on her or you'll be hearing from all of us, o.k.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the worst is over. Now you get to wait on TC hand and foot! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's no fun to be at a hospital and have a surgery. Good thing she's through with it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky her, she got the pain pump. First hip I had it also but last year they did not use it anymore, said it was old fashioned. I had to keep ringing my bell for a nurse to bring pains meds and then wait and wait fro them to finally arrive. Glad she got instant relief. I imagine she will be sleeping a lot for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohdear....good thing she can at least tolerate those morphine derivatives. I can't. Last surgery was interesting when I finally pulled out the IV. That was 14 years ago or so. Heartfelt feelings going out to T.C. as she recovers. "Caretaker" chronicles takes on a whole new meaning here!

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.