Friday, January 9, 2009

You know it's cold when....

...you're only second in line to get yer cheese.

You may recall on a market day a few weeks back, that I mentioned how the cheese stand was mobbed, and I wasn't about to stand there like a tree trunk for what looked like a solid 20 minutes to get a couple hunks of cheese.
Took my chances today and got lucky.
Mind you, not the easiest thing handling money, or cheese for that matter, when there's barely any feeling in your fingers.
Even the bike was making some whiny complaining noises. There was no way I was stopping to investigate, since the likely hood of my having run over an animal was slim, although it is conceivable that a small cat could have been stretched up over the derailleur.
At least that's what it sounded like.

We'll see what it's like when it's not minus six out.

Just thought I'd mention that.

It did seem somewhat colder when I made my first jaunt this morning for the regular shop, but I just figured it was all in my head, and I really didn't want to venture out again, but I had this idea that I wanted some salmon for dinner, and the market in Delden doesn't get fired up until after 1:00 p.m.

It's still a bit of a winter wonderland. Of course, all the Dutch folks are happy happy, since now they can go skating on the canals.

Silly buggers.


Seems it's the coldest winter in ten years.
Swell.
Nice of ole man Winter to wait until we decided to move to the Netherlands.




I do think it's rather neat the way the frost is hanging off the trees though, and it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere.
You'll notice that the sidewalks don't get touched, nor do the little side streets. I'm still waiting for a thaw dammit! Besides, I don't have a real snow shovel, just some crazy metal scraper thing with a long handle.
It's pitiful.
I'm guessing this guy ....


.....doesn't have a scraper for his windshield, and if you saw what they have in the stores when you ask for such a critter, you would completely get it. Pretty sure I could have used my credit card.



We've been avoiding that whole issue in the last few days by putting the car in the garage. Well worth the effort.

It would also seem they're not too concerned with "due diligence", or perhaps it's just not that easy to sue someone if you fall on their sidewalk. Not sure.

Now I should sum up the rest of the Holiday Report by adding that most of the rest of the time spent in Canada involved either resting or carousing. Usually resting as a result of carousing.

There were serious discussions concerning NFL pics....

food preparation...(somebody likes their crab legs)


Photo albums to be reviewed (somebody went to South Africa....she would be the one with the big grin)
and of course, games to be played..



It all went by way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.