Tuesday, August 25, 2009

That down home feeling.

Pretty sure there would have been something amiss if I hadn't managed to get caught in the rain at least once more. Of course, I farted around for most of the day, including spending about an hour and a half outside trying to get ahead of the weeds. It was comfortably overcast, without a hint of rain. It's not something I choose to do in the blazing sun, so earlier today was just about perfect, even though perhaps just ever so slightly muggy. I'm one of those people that sweats profusely from my head, which I was told once upon a time was a healthy thing (huh?) so even though it was a comfortable 22, I got a little drippy after about the first hour.
The morning would have been the time to go out on the bike of course, but I just didn't feel like it, so decided to put it off. Typically, when it comes to getting to a place like the bakery, it's always a good thing to get there first thing in the morning, but I figured when it comes to the grocery store, it doesn't much matter. I expected Dirk's to be mobbed, but that wasn't really the case. Quite unusual for four in the afternoon in the Netherlands. I don't think I'll ever figure it out.
So I didn't really think too much of it when I came out of Dirk's and it was sprinkling ever so slightly, but of course, by the time I got in the house here, it was really coming down. Just especially for me.
Kind of makes one feel all warm and fuzzy dunnit??
Oh, and by the way, if you click on the link and go to the Dirk's site, you notice they had Heineken on for €5.99. For twelve. That's a good price in any currency. I was all over that one.
Note: that site changes about once a week, so you might no longer see the beer special. Don't shoot me.

Now, I have to talk briefly about something that I can only sum up as living in a "fishbowl"....
Seems that each and every time I'm working outside, somebody always comes up to ask directions. Now I realise this happened to me once in Bonn last year some time, so I'm not sure just what the hell is going on. Do I look like I have a clue?? I try keeping my head down and not making eye contact, but they still come up to me....
Seriously, I almost checked the back of my t-shirt when I peeled it off and tossed it in the laundry. Does it say...."Bob knows" ?
A couple weeks ago I was out on a Friday afternoon cutting the grass and a couple on bikes stopped by to ask directions, and I actually knew the street they were looking for. Felt pretty good about that one, especially since the entire interview was conducted in Dutch. Who knew?

Today though, I had two different people stop and ask for directions, and I had no flippin' idea! It ain't the language that's the problem here, OK? I'm not too sure I could direct someone to some obscure street in my neighbourhood back in Canada, and it's not like I'm ever going to know the town like the back of my hand or anything. Thankfully my neighbour's "helper" was out and about, and I was able to at least direct the one person to him, but judging by the convoluted description, I have no idea if she ever found the place or not.

Meanwhile, I've been having some internet connectivity issues, so I'm up in the sewing room just in case, since it seems that I no sooner get back downstairs, that it craps out again. If need be I can piggy back off a neighbour's wifi, but it's painfully slow, and this is the only place in the house where I can pick it up.
My first suspicion was that we had been cut off, and that wouldn't surprise me, since that's basically what happened in Puerto Rico with our phone. We've given all our account numbers to the folks at Settle Services, so I figure we could be without phone or internet at any moment. It's that, "if anything could go wrong, it probably will", rule....

Just now got a phone call from the Mover Dude. Seems he's coming by Friday afternoon between three and four to scope out the move.

One more step.

No pics today, sorry...not much worth showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.