Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy Canada Day.

For those of you who give a rat’s tiny behind. 

Well,  I suppose we’re all fairly observant of each others special days.

There’s usually some sort of sentiment of patriotism involved.  I’m thinking we could probably do with a slightly bigger flag, but I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that one.  I might just have to pull the trigger on something a little more substantial.

 

IMG_0754

There was no way there was going to be any holes made in the cedar siding, so I was able to simply wedge each end of the string in each of the two windows.  Part of the cache of having actual operable windows.  For the first time in something like 40 or 50 years, but let’s not go there.

 

Of course,  there are others who have put in slightly more effort.

 

IMG_0753

Ironically,  we have a flag of Austria that’s bigger,  but that was for one of our Viennese themed dinners once upon a time.  Travelling Companion prepared boiled meat.  And I realise that doesn’t sound overly appetizing but it’s good,  trust me.   There’s a pretty good description here.

 

We had a bit of a nasty blow over the weekend,  which only really meant that I made sure to cut the grass ahead of time,  and then had to go out and round up all the tiny tree branches that had been blown to the ground.

IMG_0745

I guess there might have been a few downed branches in other parts of town,  but in spite of possibly grumbling about what the city doesn’t do,  and we won’t get started on that here,  they do indeed seem to keep after the trees. 

There are very few power failures as a result of downed trees,  and a limb or an entire tree coming down happens very rarely.  Unlike say Toronto, or worse Vancouver,  where trees are somehow sacred and should only come down when blown down by Mother Nature.  Quite typically on someone’s car or worse,  their house.

Even better,  now that we have a roof that doesn’t leak (yay!) I rather enjoy a good rainstorm.   Well,  except of course that one thunder clap at some point early on Saturday morning (I think it was at least) that had me come clean off the bed.  That had to have been right over the house.  And as a matter of fact,  there was a house in Welland that got struck,  which then started a fire in the attic. 

That’s never good. 

I’m kinda hoping that metal roof program would mitigate that possibility.  I hope we’ll never find out.

 

We’re just getting ready to head out to an annual “Can-Am” gathering that was supposed to take place on Saturday.  See aforementioned weather issues.   Today looks more promising.

Keep those sticks on the ice.

 

Thanks for stopping by.

 

 

 

.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day. Don't like lightning that close. We've had lots down here but nothing too close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Canada Day to you and TC. No thunder or wind out here on the Left Coast. Just heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada day to you as well, enjoy the fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice flag, even if I did have to use a magnifying glass to see it! :cD

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you put up a flag! Hope you had a good Canada Day.

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.