Monday, July 24, 2017

There are moments, and the rest of the time, I'm a Bonehead.

Bit of running around today.   Got wind of a table and dresser up for grabs from a buddy of mine.  Initially I didn't really give much thought to the email he sent around,  until Travelling Companion mentioned that perhaps one of her sisters could use a couple things.

So fine,  picked them up.
It's that whole "pick-up truck"  thing.  Sure comes in handy.


Note,  I've let it be known in no uncertain terms that Muggins here (that would be me)  is not,   and will never be,  willing to "help move".

Sorry.

Those days are long in the past.
The last five moves we did ( that Puerto Rico thing,  and then years later from here to the Netherlands,  then on to Vienna,  and then ultimately back home again)  involved moving companies. They were "company moves" after all.
I only supervised.  My kind of moving.  Even then, something to contend with.

If you're moving,  get your young friends to help.  And if you're my age and moving?  Hire movers.


The next "move" I do will likely be when they take me out of here feet first.  But whatever.

Where was I?

Right.

We did a little detour first,  as there was a request for a return favour,  in that we went off to Exotic Woods to pick up some Mahogany Plywood.  He bought six sheets.  Glad I wasn't paying,  as the bill came to something in the neighbourhood of eight hundred bucks.
Not my kind of neighbourhood.

That's the same place where I bought the Cherry Plywood for the cabinets I built for the bathroom.  Good resource to have,  but you need deep pockets.   The Cherry Ply came out to roughly $140 a sheet.
Not a good idea to make any mistakes.

So I was a little surprised to discover that these two pieces of random furniture that these folks were willing to part with for the sake of a bit more room in their condo,  are genuine antiques.



No idea as to the age of the table,  although the size of the pine boards that make up the top haven't been available for at least a half century,   and the dresser,  although "factory made",  uses Pin and Cove joinery for the drawers.   There are three drawers by the way,  I hadn't put the top two back in,
 as the dresser needs a bit of TLC.

Stole a couple pics off the net....






Goes by various names,  however it rightly should be referred to as a "Knapp Joint",  as it was patented by Charles Knapp of Waterloo, Wisconsin in 1867.

Because you really need to know this!

It was no longer in production as of 1900,  so I suspect that the dresser is like...old.


Anyway,   they're sitting in the garage.  And like I said,  the dresser needs some lovin',  so I'll sort that out later today or tomorrow.  It's mostly the runners that hold in the drawers.  Wonky.
That's a technical term.


Meanwhile,   I've been getting my camping ducks in a row,  as I'm headed to Youngstown, N.Y. for the weekend for a sailing thingy.

Oh wait,  it's the Can-Am Challenge.  There we go.

As I'm not overly thrilled with sleeping on the boat (remember that whole claustrophobic episode on the train?)   I'll be taking along a tent.

Of course,  I'm also not overly thrilled with sleeping in a tent,  but with enough libations,  and the fact that it's not moving,  I'm sure I'll be fine.

I mean,  my last "camping" experience was in a class A Motorhome.   Queen bed etc.  This will be a bit of a retro step,  to say the least.

In the back room of our shed,  I have a sort of "sanctum sanctorum" (OK,  it's not really "holy",  I just like that phrase)  in which I also have some mouse proof cabinets,  containing many of the items that I took out of the aforementioned Motorhome to hang onto.  I'm a bit odd that way,  I know.
I had sort of forgotten about it,  but there was,  in fact,  a tent.   Thought I'd better set it up,  just to make sure it was serviceable.




Good to go.

But,  here's the "Bonehead"  part.   In one of the totes (gotta love Totes!)  there was this black fabric type of thingy,  and I really had no clue what it was.

So, what did I discover that I didn't know we had,  nor have any recollection of ever buying?




Yup.   It's a BBQ cover!

I may or may not keep it on in the summer.  I have mixed feelings about covering a BBQ,   as I find that a grill such as the Weber really doesn't require a cover.   But I might just use it in the winter time to keep the snow off.  I mean,  we have it.  It's there.  Why not use it?


I have yet to go up into the attic and do some further rummaging.  I do suspect that I'll need some tent pegs.  I'm sure I saw some somewhere.  *sigh*
And they do have those things available for purchase,  if it comes right down to it.

Stay tuned.



And thanks for stopping by.





.


4 comments:

  1. Very nice table and chest.

    I ruined the insides of a Weber with a cover, keeps the moisture in. I replaced the rusted innards and have not had a problem in 8 years sans a cover...probably not a bad idea for your snowy winters though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm somewhat suspicious of having a cover on in the summer months, especially with the humidity we get around here. Of course, there's a chance I'll take it off, put it back in the shed and forget about it again. Oy.

      Delete
  2. They don't make furniture like that anymore because it lasts forever.
    Talk about turning back the clock, we are roughing it when we're "Off the Grid" with limited data.
    I noticed some rust on the grill but thought it was from not covering it. Thanks for the tip>
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember back when I was 10 or 12 helping my dad rip sheets of very expensive plywood. My job was simply to "hold" the sheet as it came off the table saw but I always wanted to "help" by pulling and causing more than a few bad cuts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.