Friday, January 20, 2017

Slightly off my rocker.

Things are moving along (slowly) in the bathroom department,  and that is going to be the theme of the day.
Nothing to do with the inauguration,  by the way.   Which I will not watch.  Didn't watch the last one,  but that was likely as I was at work at the time.   Pardon the language.

Anyway,  my shower pan is in,  the drain is hooked up and working as it should,  and now I'm shimming out the wonky studs to try and get some semblance of straightness to the backer board.
It's a whole bunch of fun.  Let me tell ya.




Of course,  as I'm muddling along,  from time to time the phone rings.
Now,  normally I can tell who it might be due to that wonderful thing that we now take for granted called "call display".
Love it!
Had a nice chat with Daughter Number Two yesterday for example.  Her number comes up as "Kat". That's because,  that's what I put in there.   I mean,  not that I'd do this,  but I guess one could put in any name with a number.  Like,  "goofy brother"  or some such thing.
Probably not the best idea.

So there was one call this morning that we chose to ignore.  No message,  so they were of no significance.   Then T.C. went out shopping as she does most every Friday morning,  and at some point after she was gone (and could answer or ignore the phone)  it rang again.

A '208' number.

For anyone around these parts who has acquired a cell phone in the last few years,  all the regular extension combinations have been depleted,  so now instead of '905',  we're on to '208'.   And there was no name.  Just a number.  I almost didn't answer,  but then thought,  "what if it's someone whom I know, but just not in my list of folks who normally call?"
In hindsight,  pretty far fetched, so I should have ignored it.

Of course,  the first hint is,  there's a bit of a delay,  and that's your first clue.  Right there is an opportunity to hang up.  But no,  I was curious.   I was just in the kitchen at the time waiting for my toast to pop,  and figured,  "What the hell."

Here's the gist of the conversation:  "Hello,  my name is Larry,  and we're doing a survey in the area of shopping preferences."   First of all,  the good news was,  "Larry" could actually speak English.   So I was *slightly* intrigued,  but only slightly.
So this was my response.  "Oh jeez Larry,  I'm sorry,  but I'm right in the middle of going to the bathroom,  so I can't really stay on the phone."   To which "Larry", undaunted,  says,  "Well,  is there a better time when I could call back?"  And I'm thinking, "when hell freezes over?"   But instead,  I proceeded to make the appropriate  (well,  inappropriate really,  depending on the circumstances)  grunting and peckin' and snortin' noises and hung up the phone.  Like,  try to imagine crapping a Buick.

Like that.

*Snort*!

Was that bad?

I don't know if "Larry" will ever call back,  bless his heart,  but I've been chuckling about this ever since.

Ah, the plight of the simple minded.

Thought I share.

Oh and,  I actually do know a Larry,  and he's retired from the food business.   Oh wait a minute! Could it be?  I'll check with his wife,  whom I see from time to time during out Wednesday morning breakfasts with the "Breakfast Babes".

I don't think it was the real Larry though,  as the real Larry is comfortably retired, and not about to be calling around the neighbourhood,  but this'll make for gales of laughter next Wednesday I would image.

Enjoy that inauguration all you fine folks south of the 49th.   It's going to be "interesting".  That's the only prognostication that I have.

Keep your stick on the ice.

Enjoy the weekend.  "Every day is Saturday",  as I like to say.

Thanks for stopping by.



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, interesting is a word for our new President. Actually it's the only one I have that should be used in polite conversation. Good luck with 'Larry'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tv watching for us either, yes everyday is Saturday, gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, you were not lying either. ;) When I hear this introduction I usually put the receiver down without a word. Or rather I push the "end" button. Too often they have tried to draw me into a conversation. Not anymore. No TV either but some reading later in the evening. Full following the next day though. Curious how to see the bathroom turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.