Friday, March 18, 2016

And...we're back to this.




So much nicer to have a BBQ right outside the back door. 
Don’t get me wrong,  we had a wonderful time at the Condo in Maui that we rented,  but the situation was such that,  the BBQs were down by the pool.

And I like to BBQ.

They were awesome BBQs and all that,  but getting all your “stuff” down there,  all the while having to get through one of the locked gates,  (and you had to use the key to get out too…),  was a bit of a challenge.  “Have I got everything?”  was my mantra.  Oh,  and there was no glass or breakable dishware permitted either since well,  you are in the pool area. 

So convenient.

But,  here we are again,  back in the Great White North,  where it’s actually starting to get quite green.  Mind you,  we have had SNOW IN APRIL around here,  so even though spring is around the corner,   let’s not get too cocky.

Yesterday was one of those awesome days when the temps were up into shirt sleeve weather (well, for the average Canadian at least,  Floridians need not apply), but it was just a tease,  since today it’s quite cold again.  Above freezing,  but nothing that would encourage you to run out and bask in the sun.  Or roll around on the lawn.

Actually,  I’m sure it’s been a bloody long time since I’ve “rolled around on the lawn”.  Not really my “deal” for several decades at least.


To go along with the steaks, (and yes,  I realise they are small,  but they are “medallions”),  I had a hankering for some taters fried in onion. 

Maybe it takes me back to when my dear ole Ma would make “hash”,  but that’s chopped up more than this particular version.







And you’ll no doubt think this a bit odd,  but I recall that she used to use an old tin can (washed of course,  hello)  to chop up the potatoes in her cast iron frying pan.  The things you remember….
It looks somewhat bland in that photo,  but T.C. did make a salad to go along.  I don’t seem to recall such a thing as a “salad” when we had Mom’s hash. 

Salad? Did anyone eat salad back in the 50s 60s or 70s?
You just ate your vegetables.


Anyhoodle,  I’m mostly just checking here to say, “Hey,  I ain’t dead yet”,  although the blog is on the verge of being on life support. 
I’ll try and breathe some life into it from time to time. 

I promise.


Figured I should put in at least one pic from Maui.  This is my sister-in-law and I out on Maui Nui

I forgot to show T.C. how to zoom.








Keep those sticks on the ice.


Thanks for moving your eyes back and forth.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to read that you survived the trip to Maui.
    Like yourself we are definitely yearning for the warmer weather. Not the warmth that melts your socks off but the comfortable stuff.
    Looking forward to more of your escapades.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been in Maui and didn't blog about it?

    I love me some bbqing and I can understand how the pool thing was a pain. In the Winter I have a light on my bbq that goes on when the lid is up...cold weather does not stop me. Snow will, and we are expecting some on Sunday, you will probably see it a day or two later.

    Steaks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you are baclk again and the weather warming up some , we will try to brings more warm weather back there with us Early April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest... my Dad (who was the stay-at-home Dad even back in the 1940's and 50's) fixed salads... even using a garlic clove to season the wooden bowl. He'd definitely approve of your meal... but would have made his own dressing to go with the salad ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.