Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pedalled me arse to the bank.

I had mentioned a few weeks back that I was waiting on a cheque?  It finally arrived today.  Yay. 

The excuse was that,  the ones who normally write the cheques were “away”.  Whatever.  So now we start the search anew for a couple more pieces of furniture for the living room.  It’s a little sparse in there at the moment.  We’ll survive.

Oh,  and in the meanwhile,  I got a note back from Canada Post a couple weeks ago saying that yes, we were getting our mail.  Coincidently though, there was a different mail carrier that week (and ever since).  Hm.  No “chick talking on her phone”.  I suppose it could have been a coincidence?  I’m not a big believer in such a thing as a coincidence when it comes to that sort of thing.  I’m more inclined to think the young lady didn’t know her Arse from a hole in the ground. 

Trying to stick to a theme here.

Anyway,  I thought it prudent to get the cheque in the bank, rather than have a piece of paper lying around.  I still think cheques (OK, “checks” for the rest of you) are kind of silly.  It’s like getting a note from someone’s Mom.  “I’ll pay you this much.  It’s on this piece of paper, do you trust me?” 

I like the European system,  but let’s not get side tracked.

So the kid at the wicket asked, “So what was this for?”  to which I replied,  “And just how is that any of your concern?”     I think I’m getting that way as I get older….

Apparently his supervisor was going to be asking him,  since it was over a “certain amount”.  Fine, I don’t give a sh*t. 

“Tell her is from the ‘NYFB’ fund.”   It took him about three seconds to figure that one out.  Then I felt kind of sorry for him and said it was from a merchandise return. The poor dork is just doing his job,  such as it is. That satisfied his curiosity.

I mean, it was drawn on their own bank, fer chrissakes.   And if I was laundering money,  why would anyone cut me a cheque?  Sometimes I wonder.

I’ll be interested to see if they dare put a “hold” on it.  With the exception of the fact that I can almost see the branch from my house,  these folks really and truly haven’t much else going for them in the banking department.  Oh, the stories I could tell.

 

It’s slightly less muggy today,  although we won’t be needing any long johns in the foreseeable future.  I’m getting close to installing my first window,  but it’s been such a fun time getting finish on all of the parts. I have to look at it as just another woodworking project I suppose, but the whole process is starting to get a bit tedious.  It just seems to go on forever,  and I find myself wondering if I might have a screw loose.  What was I thinking?  Sometimes I take on these huge jobs….

I suppose,  once upon a time,  we could have started the process with vinyl windows and I’m sure I’d be done by now.  I’m also pretty sure I wouldn’t be happy though.  The only window in the whole place that gives any grief is the one vinyl window that we had installed by the “professionals”,  because it was just not something I was willing to tackle myself.  Lesson learned.  Never do that again.   I mean,  it’s a little too close to the power lines and it’s not in the best spot,  which was why I was willing to let the ‘trades’ in the house.  Just the same though,  it’s a horrid thing.  It’s two sets of “sliders”,  that are a bitch to slide.  I’ll leave it at that.

 

So I thought at least I’d remove some of the trim around one of the existing windows while I was waiting for some more finish to dry.

It wasn’t all that easy to remove it either.  I have no idea how they managed to nail it on from above?  Did they put in the windows before they put the sheathing on the roof?  It’s a mystery.

I mean,  I could have removed the glass parts and started hacking away with the reciprocating saw,  but the replacement isn’t quite ready yet,  and I’d rather not have a big hole in the side of the house for any longer than about an hour or so. 

I did discover just why that room gets rather cold though when there’s an east wind… 

DSC_09003

OK then. 

Not much going on there in the insulation department.  I know oil was cheap in 1958,  but really?   I’ll have to check the larder,  but I think I have a bag of insulation at the ready.  It’s fun making these discoveries,  isn’t it? 

 

Well,  I suppose I’d better waddle on out there and get back at it. 

Thanks for stopping by.

 

.

6 comments:

  1. I have to remember never to be drinking anything when reading your blog. I had a great spray out of my nose when I read "NYFB"! :cD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've NEVER had any teller ask me what the check (cheque to you) was for. If I had, I sure wish I'd been quick enough to give the NYFB fund answer. But then, maybe our measly little checks (cheques) aren't big enough to give anyone concern. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am betting they now have a picture of you behind every counter at the bank:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Down here in the lower 48, they have to know what anything is over $10k... Federal Law, and your NYFB would have landed you a trip to the constabulary... But things are easier going in the land of the maple leaf...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was *only* just over three grand, so I'll stick with my NYFB angle. I totally get the deal with anything over $10k. I think we have that here too.

      Delete
  5. Well looks like you passed the bank inspection, now to get back to thoses windows.
    Have too much fun.

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.