Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oompa Loompas in PJs


These sightings have absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it’s a full moon.  I’ve been meaning to mention Oompa Loompas for a while, and thought I’d put in a gratuitous shot of last night’s moon that appeared in the western sky right around sunset.
I’m a little bit “behind my times” this morning,  since I had a couple chores to sort out,  one of which was to fuel up the car and get it washed.  It wasn’t even that it was all that dirty, but I’d just as soon have it clean as not. 
It seems like every little thing was taking way too long this morning.  Drove around to the car wash “booth”,  or whatever you call it,  and there were two cars ahead of me,  which at a normal drive through type of car wash wouldn’t be that time consuming,  but here in Wienerland,  most of the car washes are of the goofy “drive you car in and leave it”  variety.

 Um,  I usually choose however to not stand with my nose pressed up against the door,  waiting for the wash cycle to finish?






The door will open automatically and you can then drive your car out.



 And this is why the whole procedure takes too damned long.

I think it’s even longer if you choose the spiffy-all-you-can-think-of wash,  where the car gets waxed and buffed,  with a big hug at the end.   OK,  maybe there’s no hug,  but I can’t really tell what’s going on in there.  All I know is,  the car gets reasonably clean at the end of the whole process.
So somehow my timing was such that,  I sat in a whole whack of traffic this morning trying to get back into the city.   Jumpin’ Dyna!  I guess it’s just because everyone is back from vacation or something,  but I’m going to try and not do that again for a while.   Especially since I didn’t get back here until about 9:30.  Geez.

Of course,  sitting in traffic does provide one with the opportunity to nab a photo now and again.


I don’t think you need a translation?

See,  this is how you end up looking like an Oompa Loompa.   Not sure what an Oompa Loompa looks like?   Remember “Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory”?
Ya,  those guys.
 oompa

That’s Willy in the middle.  No relation to Malcolm.

I haven’t a clue what the deal is with the white eyebrows. It so happens I’m working on a couple of those myself.   In spite of this affliction of the nearly white eyebrows,  (since I’m not going to be using Grecian Formula any time soon) I have no desire to complement the look with a fake tan.
This cannot be said for just about every other young female on the streets of Vienna.  I’m not kidding.  Well,  they don't have the white eyebrows though.  Thankully.
I’ve been seeing them all summer.  It’s most noticeable in the early spring,  when everyone and their dog is pretty much pasty white.  The Austrians,  and Europeans in general I think,  do like to get their tans.   They’re also not overly keen on tan lines,  but that’s maybe a subject for another day.  Pretty sure there won’t be any photos.  Sorry.
To make matters slightly more entertaining,  I saw a couple Oompa Loompas just this morning wear what I swear to GOD were PJs!   Of course I know they weren’t wearing PJs,  since whatever it was,  was nicely tailored.  But my goodness!  (I'm trying to watch my language.   Lame,  I know)
I guess it was fashionable,  but that’s only a guess.   What is the thought process?  Where are their Mothers?   Do they not know how goofy they look?  
It’s kind of like those guys riding motorcycles where the handlebars are up higher than the top of my car?  Admittedly,  most of those fellows could stand to have copious amounts of fresh air wafting past their armpits,  judging by the looks of them.  OK so,  I’ll admit it,  maybe there’s some “functionality” in that form after all?
But the fake tan?  Sorry.  Just silly looking.

I failed to get any photos of actual Viennese Oompa Loompas,  since I started to have battery issues after taking the "Airbrush Tanning" photo.  If I thought it was worth the effort,  I’d go back out with the Nikon and the big lens,  but then I’d look too much like a tourist.

That’s not going to happen.

.

1 comment:

  1. Young and some old Americans are just as bad about that tanning stuff. At least the airbrush is a lot safer than the actual sun. But I sure got a chuckle out of the Oompa Loompas. You definitely hit the nail on the head for that one. Around here they ARE wearing PJ's. Nothing tailored about them.

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.