Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's Groundhog Day!

Not that anyone outside of North America has the slightest clue what that's all about.  And frankly,  it's mostly a mid winter excuse to have something to look forward to.
There is however some good news and bad news in there when it comes to the events of today.  Let me just first mention that, if it's a bright clear sunny day and the Groundhog sees his shadow,  then he goes back underground for six more weeks,  ergo there will be six more weeks of winter.  And who wants that?  Really?
Well,  maybe the die hard winter enthusiasts, but I don't really give a sod what they want.

On the other hand,  if he DOESN'T see his shadow,  then rest assured that winter will end shortly.   Something like that.  I'm coming up a little short on some of the details,  and I couldn't really be bothered to look it up.

It is supposedly 100% accurate,  but truth be told,  nobody can remember just what was supposed to happen at the end of the six weeks anyway.

So the best of all possible scenarios is if you have just a few clouds on Groundhog Day.  Right? Wouldn't want him to see his shadow!


Now,  while I'll candidly admit that Monday was one of those days when I overwhelmingly just wanted to go home,  I'm quite happy to stay right here in Wienerland for the moment.



That mess you see there is a map of North America.   Seems there's going to be a bit of a storm.  Sometimes I put in links to stories,  but then find later that the links are no good,  so I figured the best demonstration was the map. 
Some of you will indeed get your wish for a SNOW DAY!

Instead of a link,  I'll just boldly liberate a few words from one of the local rags...

Canada's famous forecasting groundhogs may think twice today about emerging from their burrows to predict the weather.
It's Groundhog Day, and Ontario's Wiarton Willie, Nova Scotia's Shubenacadie Sam and Alberta's Balzac Billy are set to make predictions, along with Pennsylvania's Punxsutawney Phil.
But they have their work cut out for them, with Environment Canada issuing a spate of weather warnings and watches across the country.
In Ontario, meteorologists say a "dangerous" winter storm is expected to dump up to 30 centimetres of snow on much of the southern part of the province.
The weather office has also issued a heavy snowfall warning for Nova Scotia.
Folklore has it that if a groundhog sees his shadow on Groundhog Day he'll flee to his burrow, heralding six more weeks of winter and if he doesn't, it means spring's around the corner.
The origins of the tradition aren't clear, but it's likely related to the fact that Groundhog Day falls midway between the start of winter and the beginning of spring.
Last year, several of the rodent forecasters predicted six more weeks of winter.




So let's just think on this for a moment,  shall we?

 While many of you in North America are silently praying for a snow day,  there are actually people who are going to get dressed up in top hat and tails,  stand outdoors in a blinding snow storm,  haul some poor little rodent out of his cage to determine whether or not he can see his shadow.


 Don't you just love traditions??
I also have to sadly point out the alarming lack of women in the photo.   Didn't want to look that ridiculous, eh?


And really....there's a "Balzac Billy"?


I didn't realise predicting the weather had that much to do with French literature of the 19th century.  I guess I'll have to go back and reread some of that stuff. 
Those crazy Westerners showing off like that!




Play safe out there!






.

2 comments:

  1. So I was informed by the plaza maintenance fella' that my delivery dock had 2 feet of snow in it from a apocalypse that reigned down.
    So I decided to put it to the test by jumping down into it (slow work day)...and lo' and behold it came up to my waist.
    I Think that makes me just over 4 feet high.
    Oh yes, just thought I'd let you know how much I hate the cobblestone driveway.
    Well of to shovel again the plow is outside, mmmmmmm 8pm snowplay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, I recall once upon a time when this lovely "cobblestone" arrangement was in use somewhere in Puerto Rico, which Travelling Companion happily pointed out to me.
    "Oh look, just like what Ata* did".

    Right.

    I was then quick to point out that THEY DON'T GET FREAKIN' SNOW in Puerto Rico!
    I've been annoyed by it for over 20 years. Your turn. Sorry.
    I do have an evil plan to liberate it at some point in the future though. Thinking along the lines of interlocking. Even straight concrete.

    Just saying.



    *Dad, as in my father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.