Friday, October 22, 2010

"SORRY! THEIR IS NO POSSIBLE!"

"YOU CAN BUY DIRECTLY!"

What??


 And this,   Ladies and Gentlemen,  is the calliper of English spoken in this fair land.   Actually,   to give credit where credit is due,  the boys in the Cafe downstairs can do better,  and they're (or should it be their,  or there?)  not really even trained to deal with the English speaking public.  Oh,  and their first language is Turkish!

This was in a email from some very fine folks at a ticket office here in Wienerland for a concert we want to go to tonight.  I've put in a call.  Not sure if I'll hear back.
 I know I've had these thoughts of giving English lessons,  but I'm not even sure if there's anyone willing to learn.  They seem to be quite happy to be graduates of the Ralph Wiggum school of English.

Don't bother too much with the first link,  but *you're welcome to click on the second one to get a summation of that of which I speak.

*Or is it "your"?

OK,  I'll stop now.

I can sort of cut them some slack when it comes to homonyms,  because we have a whack of them in English,  and it can be confusing,  but those two "sentences"  don't even translate back into German.


 Makes for a good laugh I suppose,  but sometimes I just shake my head.   It's always good sport when I simply choose to only speak English.  Such an arrogant bastard.  I know.


So back to the concerts.

It so happens they're playing The Four Seasons at Karlskirche.  Now,  this has nothing to do with Frankie Valli, even though I guess that could be considered "old" music.
No,  I'm referring to le quattro stagioni , written by some Italian dude back in 1723.  We're going for the really old stuff here, and it's not Mozart.  We do get enough of that.
  You will notice that there is an Italian connection there.   Just thought I'd mention it.  Somehow though I doubt that Valli was listening to Vivaldi as a young lad,  but it's not 'unpossible'.  (spell check doesn't like my Ralph Wiggum spelling)

The primary goal of my ticket ordering session last night on line was to try and get tickets to an upcoming performance of Tosca at the Staatsoper.   I think I've wanted to go see Tosca ever since the "Three Tenors"  did their little stint back in the nineties.
I'm putting all these links in for anyone who may have just crawled out from under a rock.
 Sorry,  being a bit of a snot again.

 I invite you to go and have a look at the website for opera tickets,  and you may notice that it can get just a tad pricey.  I have no interest in standing up at the back,  but we instead look on these types of events as "once in a life time",  which means I'd prefer to either have good seats or stay home.

I suppose that if we had had a couple bucks at the time,  It would have been exciting to go and see someone like Pavarotti back in his prime.

If you do go to that first link and are not quite familiar with that particular opera,  let me fill in a couple blanks.  "Vesti La Guibba"  literally means "put on the suit",  in this case referring to the clown suit worn by the main character, Canio, who plays the part of a clown,  hence the term "Pagliacci".
Even though the show must go on,  he's heartbroken since he just found out his wife Nedda, has been fooling around on him.
Racy stuff I know.  You may need a tissue.

Even as late as 1994 he wasn't too shabby.
Unfortunately the timing wasn't right,  and I was never willing to pony up the gobs of money required to see him long after he should have retired.  


I guess that's all I have for today.   Except for the fact that I miss our dryer,   but I'm getting really good at ironing shirts.
And just about everything else.


Today's number is 49.
(49 sleeps and a "wakie")



Have a fine weekend.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I've been getting too many spam comments showing up. Just a drag, so we'll go another route and hope that helps. So, we won't be hearing anything more from Mr. Nony Moose.
I guess I'll just have to do without that Gucci purse.